Saturday, October 2, 2010

Not Chicago


This post has nothing to do with Chicago.
I know, I promised Chicago details...but if I tell you, I'll have to kill you...all..and then where would we be? Or...maybe the time has just passed and I got insanely busy with the Meaningful Day Open House EXTRAVAGANZA....which turned out really well =) Thanks to all who helped. Most notably, my amazing husband who rocks at life.

Now...I think you all should take a look here at this book series I've been wrapped up in for the past month. The Hunger Games is the 1st of the trilogy, followed by Catching Fire and Mockingjay. The 1st book introduces you to Katniss, a teenage girl living in a post-apocalyptic society. The government in this new society hosts an annual event called The Hunger Games which is televised throughout the nation and used as a warning to deter any rebellion against the government. The Hunger Games are a brutal and somewhat unfair competition that Katniss finds herself involved in. The book is an easy read and full of action. I won't spoil anything by telling about the other 2 books, but I will say that I loved the first and second, but found the last book a little disappointing...so many other ways I would have ended the story. After speaking with a few friends, it seems other people we dissatisfied with the ending too. However, I think it is still worth reading the books.

Peace :)



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the first one a few weeks ago and am waiting for the other 2 (I placed requests at the library, which takes forever ...). I started reviewing them for my blog as well, but I'm going to wait until I finish all 3. I really enjoyed the first one!
I also just read "The Pillars of the Earth"--and I liked it, except there's a lot of rape and pillage and gratuitous sex/violence. I'm torn about reviewing it on my blog because I don't want to draw anyone into reading something that would be unhealthy for them, but I also thought it was a fantastic book. Wow, this is turning into a long comment . . . but I'd love to hear your thoughts as a believer.
Thanks!

Jessica Townsend said...

If you liked "The Pillars..." and would recommend it to others anyway, I think it would be fine to review in your blog. I would definitely state a disclaimer before the review though - for those who might want to skip it for their own personal reasons.
I would be interested to read it if it is anything similar to the Hunger Games.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say it's similar at all to The Hunger Games--it's a historical novel, and written for adults instead of 'young adults', so the style is completely different. I liked it because it spans a ton of years (like 40 years?)--it's a sweeping view of the building of a cathedral during the Middle Ages.
Thanks for the advice!